What’s Up Wednesday: Welcome to my new blog!

What’s Up Wednesday is the brain child of Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk. WUWTreeJoin the fun on your own blog and then go to Jaime’s or Erin’s to add your link – it’s a great way to share what’s going on in your life and get to know other bloggers!

I just finished the third book in the Partials Sequence by Dan Wells: RUINS. As in: finished it late last night and now I’m have that feeling you get when you finish a really good book and you don’t want to start another one just yet because it probably won’t be as good. I was so happy to find that the series finished strong. I think I’ve said this before but this is unlike any other dystopian that I’ve read. The action is pretty much non-stop (I don’t think any of the characters in the book ever get to sit down!) but there are lots of interesting themes to be explored in the book too – especially prejudice and the author really takes the whole theme of “we all need each other to survive” to an extreme degree. I won’t say anymore. No spoilers!

So… what the heck should I read next?!

What I’m Writing

I went back and started revising on my WiP, FALLING even though I’m not very far in drafting. There are some elements of the story that need to be added in and some character backstories that have changed, or that were not talked about at all in the beginning but I believe will be more important as the story goes on. One thing I’m struggling with right now is my MC’s motivation. It’s always a challenge to push them just far enough but not so far that it’s unbelievable. Right?

What Else I’ve Been Up To

Um, so, I switched everything over to this new blog. Hi! *waves*

Here’s the thing y’all need to know about me – I do everything backwards. I always have. I’ve tried to fix myself but apparently they don’t make a medication for “backwardness.” For the longest time, I debated about whether I wanted to try to go the traditional publishing route or the indie (self) publishing route. I finally decided on self-publishing for a multitude of reasons. As a self-publisher (or potentially even as a traditionally-published author), it is unlikely I’d be quitting my day job any time soon. Nor do I necessarily want to. It’s a good job. I feel good about what I do every day and I like the people I work with. Not everyone can say that. (Oh, the paycheck and the benefits are nice, too.)

So, if I am not planning to quit my day job, it makes sense to me that I try to keep that side of my life quite seperate from this side of my life. Bottom line: when I do self-publish, if someone goes to do a search for me, right now, lots of stuff having to do with my day job will pop up. Not that that’s a bad thing – but it would be confusing.

Also, if you search just “Hietala,” a famous heavy metal rock dude from Finland comes up. A lot. I don’t think we’re related but, just in case some of that heavy metal money ever comes my way (or my hubby’s way, actually) and we decide to move to Finland, I’ll keep in touch, I swear. I’ll post pictures of me body surfing at a heavy metal concert in Helsinki or some such. 🙂

But assuming that I don’t run away to Finland to become part of a heavy metal family business and I do self-publish by the end of the year and I don’t want to confuse people about who I am as an author versus who I am at my day job – I needed a pen name. In short, the name Murry is a shout out to my very first love as a reader. “Murry” was the surname of the family in the book A WRINKLE IN TIME by Madeleine L’Engle. That was the first book that made me want to write.

So, welcome to the new blog. As you can see, it’s still somewhat under construction. I need to add the Goodreads and Twitter links (by the way, you’ll see me coming at you under this new name on both those sites, too). It’ll still be the same old me, same old blog – just a new name.

Whew! This is getting long. I’ll skip the “inspiration” piece of this week’s post except to say – you all inspire me so much on a weekly basis that I hope to be part of this community for a long, long time. This new blog is a step in that direction.

Have a great week everyone!

This entry was posted in Reading, What's Up Wednesday, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to What’s Up Wednesday: Welcome to my new blog!

1. Great to hear that RUINS finishes the series on a high note – I’m going to have to check it out, as I read PARTIALS and FRAGMENTS a year ago!

Great job on choosing your publishing path and congrats on the new blog! Hope you have a great week! 🙂

Hi Emma – Yes, I really liked RUINS. I am backtracking now to read the companion novel – ISOLATION. Thanks for stopping by my new home. Have a great week!

2. Hi Kitty non-Finlander heavy-metalist! *waves madly*

I had to do the same thing with my last name, because otherwise all of my scientific papers would pop up and I don’t want my *fictional* post-apocalyptic WiP to be confused with a paper I wrote on the global spread of emerging infectious diseases. That would be Bad. 😉

And I LOVED A Wrinkle in Time. It was one of the first books that really spoke to me. My Dad read it aloud to our whole family (kind of a tradition) and he broke down crying at the end and could barely read. I think it was the first time I’d ever seen him cry.

Love the new blog and the new name. Hope you have a great week! 🙂

Hi Kris! Yes, I can see where it would be very important to keep your post-apocalyptic WiP seperate from your, um, post-apocalyptic real-life? 🙂

That is such a cool story about your dad. Makes me a little sniffly! My dad loved to read poetry aloud. I can still hear his voice reading … “There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold…”

Thanks for stopping by the new blog. Have a great week!

3. Melanie says:

Hi! I chose self-publishing for a variety of reasons as well, and although I miss the thought of being traditionally published, it’s so darn SLOW. I don’t know how I’d ever make myself wait that long, now that I’ve had the instant gratification way. Great new blog! Have a wonderful week.

Hi Melanie – Yes, the slow pace of traditional publishing is one good reason to go indie. I’m too impatient! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by the new blog. Have a great week!

4. Love the new site and the pen name, too. Good luck with your new publishing venture!

Oh, the braided Fin beard and crazy eyes lol! (I totally googled “Hietela” tee hee.) Yes, I can definitely see how you’d go with a pen name, and I love the reason behind the name you chose. Very cool! You raise a really good point in favour of self-publishing (which I’m leaning very heavily towards myself). If you plan on keeping a day job, self-publishing also offers flexibility that trad publishing really doesn’t. You get to pick your deadlines, your cover art, and whatnot, and there’s a lot to be said for that. As for revising while drafting, I do it all the time. That’s actually how I get myself in the zone every time I sit down to write–I go back and read/tweak what I wrote during my last session. Works for me! And it sounds like it works for you, too. 🙂 Have a wonderful week, Kitty Murry!

Yes, Jaime, those crazy eyes! Lol. Somehow I doubt he’s related to my utterly tame husband. Hehe. As far as the self vs. trad publishing, there are plenty of arguments to be made for and against each, that’s for sure. But I think for me, it has a lot to do with where I’m at in my life and everything else that’s going on around me. I just think self-publishing would fit better at this point. Have a great week, Jaime! Thanks for checking out my new home. 🙂

What a lovely blog it is too! Good luck with the blog construction and your writing 😀

7. Yay, new blog! I’m lucky my name is weird but also that means if you search me, only I come up, so I’m very glad the internet wasn’t as big nor the same when I was in high school. Also if you move to Finland on rock star money, can I visit? I know I’m a total stranger, but I’m awesome, I promise. 😉

Yay for deciding how you want to approach your publishing career. I think it’s true that most authors don’t get to quit their day jobs for a very long time (even an advance at a Big pub isn’t going to cover you for long unless it’s very big, and most of us don’t get those right away!). I have no plans to self-publish at the moment but I’m very sure it’s something I’ll do within the next ten years. I want to be a hybrid author and do it all. (I’m greedy.) I’m with a small press now, but I’d like a big pub deal someday, and I’m sure I’ll self-pub too. Why not??

Good look on revisions! I do that as well, where I’ll stop at 15-20K and go back and revise stuff because I know going forward without fixing things will only give me a bigger mess to fix.

Happy Wednesday!

You can totally come visit if I turn into a heavy-metal Finlander! 🙂
      I totally agree with what you’re saying on being a “hybrid” author. I really think that in the future, more and more authors will be the hybrid kind. Look at how many big-name authors have gone and self-published already. Obviously, there are pros and cons to both ways. It’s kind of an exciting time to be a writer!! (Okay, that was cheesey, but you know what I mean!)
      Thanks for stopping by the new place – have a great week. 🙂

8. I don’t think you’re doing things backwards at all! Figuring out the path we want to take is all part of the writing journey. Good luck!
    Definitely adding those Dan wells books to my TBR.

Thanks for the kind words, Melanie. Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 and if I had known, for sure, which path I would eventually choose, I could’ve set up my blog this way in the first place. But, better to do it now than after I’ve published!
      I hope you have time to check out the PARTIALS series. It was really excellent! Have a great week!

9. Good luck with the self-publishing journey. I’m still working out the promotion side of that. Fortunately, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. (Totally stole that from Hugh Howey. :))

Thanks Meredith. I definitely don’t expect the self-publishing journey to be easy and I like the idea of it being a marathon. I was never good at sprinting. 🙂 But, I think I can do “slow and steady.” Have a great week!

10. Congrats on the new blog and the new name. I love ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ and lots of L’Engle’s other books. Did you see the 2003 movie, the one that ended up on ABC? I got a chance to see it at the Toronto Sprockets film festival, and loved it!

Hi Chris! Thanks for stopping by the new blog! I think that movie that you’re talking about was on Netflix at one time (I think that’s the same one?). Nothing will ever measure up to the book, of course (of course!! 🙂 ) Have a fantastic week!