What’s Up Wednesday

What’s Up Wednesday is the brain child of Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk. WUWTreeJoin the fun on your own blog and then go to Jaime’s or Erin’s to add your link – it’s a great way to share what’s going on in your life and get to know other bloggers!

After finishing Dan Wells’ PARTIALS series, I was still hanging on to that lovin’ feelin’ I had for those books, so I did the thing that I rarely ever do – I read the companion novella to the series: ISOLATION. True to what I had come to expect from Wells, it was really good.

Then I started on TAKEN by Erin Bowman. Loving it so far!

What I’m Writing

Still revising on the first 30 of my WiP FALLING and hoping to get past that and back into drafting this week. I am still struggling with Lucy’s motivation and whatever horrible things have befallen her to make her who she is but I think I’m getting there.

What inspires me right now

Here are a couple of great things I saw in the interwebs this week that made me think, “wow, cool!”

How a password changed one man’s life for the better. This article talks about how a man started using his password at work (which has to be changed every 30 days) to help him incorporate life’s goals. He used it for things like getting over a terrible divorce, quitting smoking, saving for a trip to Thailand, etc. I have started to incoporate this into my passwords. Suffice it to say, I am using it to help with my writing goals. I’ll let you know how it goes. 🙂

Colbie Caillat rallies against photoshop in “Try” music video. I’ve never been a heavy makeup user to begin with but this video really spoke to me, as the mother of two daughters. I can only hope that I’m teaching them to love themselves just the way they are, without having to put on tons of makeup, fake hair and then photoshop their photos to look “perfect.” I don’t know that I always succeed and I know that there are plenty of outside influences teaching them otherwise. I was happy to share this video with them.

What Else I’ve Been Up To

Lots of little stuff over the last week: daughter’s softball game, husband’s high school reunion, saw the new Planet of the Apes movie (which was good!), daughter’s appearance in a local production of Alladin…. and on and on. Last night, my eldest and I traveled up to Minneapolis to see a live recording of the podcast Welcome to Night Vale. If you have never heard of Night Vale, the best way I have heard it described is: Lake Wobegon as told by Stephen King. Here is the description from their website:

WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff’s Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events.

Turn on your radio and hide.

It’s very humorous (if you have a twisted sense of humor, like we do in my family). My daughter is a fanatic about this podcast so it was really fun to take her. Unfortunately, it landed on the same night as the MLB All Star Game, which happened to be a few blocks away! There were a billion, jillion people downtown. So – new experience – we parked near the Mall of America and took the light rail downtown rather than trying to drive in and park there. It was really fun!

Have a great week everyone!

This entry was posted in Reading, What's Up Wednesday, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to What’s Up Wednesday

1. Melanie says:

Hey! Your favorite interwebs things were my favorite interwebs things this week too! I don’t know why that password things struck me so hard, but it really did! And I loved Try. I wish more celebrities would take a stand about being photoshopped and glitzed up until no girl feels like she can measure up. It’s important stuff.

Great minds think alike, Melanie! 🙂 I think the thing I really liked about the password thing is that it’s so darn simple! And yet, passwords are such a huge part of our lives these days that it’s not hard to incorporate this into everyday living. Have a wonderful week!

2. I’ve heard good things about TAKEN! And Night Vale, too. I really need to check it out!

Good luck with your writing this week!

Hi Emma! I am really liking TAKEN so far. I’m not too far into it yet so I can’t quite figure out if it’s dystopian or if we are in a whole different world but, in either case, it’s unique and I’m really loving it. Have a great week!

I followed the link to that password story you shared. What a cool story and a great idea! As for finding your MC’s motivation, that’s something I often struggle with too. On paper I can figure it out, but incorporating that into the actual WiP is sometimes difficult. Hope you’re able to sort that all out. Have a wonderful week, Kitty! 😀

Hi Jaime! I am having trouble figuring her out even on paper. She’s got some bad circumstances going on, but I need to find that one thing “more,” y’know?! There has to be a trigger or a hook that makes her bad situation worse before she’s going to do something about it, I think. I may end up stepping away from the draft for a while to do some major character profiles! Have a fantastic week, Jaime!

One of these days I’m going to have to give in and start listening to Night Vale…

Have a great week!

Night Vale really is fun and they have such a fun fan base. There were so many cosplayers at the show last night. My daughter was in her element! Have a great week!

5. How fun that you got to go see the recording of Welcome to Night Vale. We used to spend a lot of time listening to old radio shows in the same vein. Too funny that it’s come full circle now with podcasts. 🙂

And I clicked through on the password story too. What a great story!! The last year I was desperate to quit my Evil Day Job (with Evil Uber Racist/Sexual Harassment Boss), I tacked up “What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” by my computer and my password was the answer to that question.

Hope you have an amazing week! 🙂

Hi Kris! I always think I should spend more time listening to podcasts because there are so many awesome ones out there! But… time!!! Argh!

I love your password story! That is awesome. I think there really is something to the power of subliminal (or maybe not so subliminal) messaging! Have a wonderful week, Kris.

6. Sounds like a busy and fun week! Glad to hear you are enjoying your summer. I’m going to check out Welcome to Night Vale. It sounds like something I would like.

Welcome to Night Vale is really fun and spooky and ridiculous and… the enthusiasm of the crowd last night was pretty awesome. I think most of the people there were uber fans. It was fun! Have a great week, Kirsten.

7. Niki Lenz says:

I have TAKEN in my pile of “To-Reads”, so I hope to get to it soon!

I am really loving TAKEN so far. I just had to tear myself away from it so I can get other stuff done! Have a great week, Niki!

8. Kris Atkins says:

Ooo, you decided on Kitty Murry! I love it.
    My writing group friends love WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE. I’ve never been one for podcasts, but maybe I should finally give it a chance.

Hi Kris! I have a hard time settling in to listen to a podcast, too. My daughter keeps putting new episodes on my phone, trying to get me to keep up! Have a great week!

9. Colin says:

I really enjoyed TAKEN, and plan to read the sequels. I hope you enjoy it too, Kitty. And the link about changing your life via passwords is really cool. A neat little trick. Thanks for sharing! Anyone going to try f1nish@WiP or rit3@syn0ps1s? 🙂

TAKEN has really sucked me in. Great premise! And I really love the password idea. The possibilities there are endless. Have a great week, Colin!

10. Pingback: What’s Up Wednesday: The Poetry Edition | Kitty Murry