Ready. Set. WRITE!

Thank you to the hosts of this summer writing intensive: Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, and Erin Funk. You can head on RSWCoffeeover to any one of those blogs to find out more and to participate. Every Monday, you can go to any one of those blogs and post a link to your check-in post. Here is my update for the week:

1. How I did on last week’s goals: I looooved this week! πŸ™‚ It was the polar opposite of last week. Here are the goals I listed last week:

• Spend at least half an hour each morning and each evening on the WiP. While I didn’t specifically spend half an hour each morning and each evening, I did write every day except one. I had to go back and re-write a bunch of the beginning of my WiP (FALLING) and that was really dragging me down. But I finished all that and yesterday was a 3k day. That felt pretty good. I feel confident I’ll crack 20k this week.
  • Work out at least five days this week. I worked out four days this week. I’m good with that. πŸ™‚
  • Critique pages for my writing group, which meets Saturday. Completed! And it was a great meeting (via Google hangouts, which saves me four hours of driving).

2. My goal(s) for this week: Let’s keep it simple and consistent with last week’s goals, shall we?

• Spend at least half an hour twice a day on the WiP. This week, I’m going to say twice a day rather than pinpointing it to morning and evening – I like the idea of even further flexibility.
  • Work out at least five days this week.

3. A favorite line from my story, OR one word that sums up what I wrote/revised:Β

“Looking at the panels near the front of the plane offers more questions than answers. I’ve never actually been in the cockpit of an airplane or a shuttle or anything like that but, I’ve watched plenty of movies. This looks nothing like it should.”

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write): Oh, my old friend distraction! And frustration with having to backtrack before the first draft is all completed.

5. Something I love about my WiP: The setting is a North woods, outdoorsy kind of setting. Which I like even if it is the dead of winter (ugh!).

Good luck to everyone in their goals this week!

22 Responses to Ready. Set. WRITE!

1. katyupperman says:

I love those lines you shared, Kitty. So intriguing. Your setting reminds me of a blog post I read the other day. It was truths about the woods for writers to apply to their work. I *think* it was a part of YA Highways Friday wrap-up post if you want to check it out. Awesome job on your goals, and here’s to a super productive week!

Thanks for the tip, Katy! I’ll have to go looking for that. And thanks for the motivating comment last week – see how it helped? πŸ™‚ Have a great week!

2. I like your plan of keeping a flexible writing schedule–I think that takes some pressure off and leads to better, more fun writing πŸ™‚ plus, it sounds like your last week was great, so something’s clearly working! Have a great week!

Hi Rebecca – Yes, I somehow think “scheduled flexibility” is the key! Does that make any sense? πŸ™‚ Thanks and have a great week yourself.

3. Very cool that you used google hangouts for your critique! It really helps to have that face to face interaction, even if it’s through a screen.

Hi Stephanie – It is so awesome that my writing group agreed to let me do the Google Hangouts thing. It’s not as interactive as actually being there but, as I said, it saves me a lot of driving time. And then I go in person whenever it’s their turn to review my pages. They are an awesome group! Have a great week!

Love the snippet from your story! And WOW! 3K day?! That’s awesome! Good luck with your goals this week!

Thanks Alison! I was actually shooting for a 5k day, but the day got away from me. πŸ™‚ I was pretty darn happy with 3k, though. Good luck with your goals, too!

5. Glad to hear the Google hangouts worked out so well and that you are making such good progress on your goals. Good luck!

Love the lines you shared with us! And you totally kicked your goals’ butt this week! I like that you’re adding a tiny bit more flexibility to your “writing twice a day” goal. Very smart! And it seems to be working for you already, so that’s even better. Isn’t it a rush to be coming off such a productive week? Here’s to another one! πŸ˜€

Hi Jaime! It is totally a rush to be coming off a productive week and it really helps the motivation to keep it going. I’m hoping that the “twice a day” (no matter what time of day it is) will really help, too, because sometimes I just can’t drag my butt out of bed even half an hour early. Lol. Not a morning person! Have a great week!

7. Great job on the goals this week! πŸ™‚ Having a routine can really help!

8. North woods in the winter sounds like it has some great ambiance. Reminds me a little of the setting for LOVELY, DARK AND DEEP by Amy McNamara. Good luck on your goals this week! πŸ™‚

Yes, there is definitely something about the north woods in the winter that can become like a whole character itself. I just don’t personally like to spend time there. πŸ™‚ Have a great week, Crystal!

9. Great job on reaching your goals! I also have a goal to exercise 3-5 times a week and I’ve been doing it so long that it’s become a habit (although it’s still hard every morning to get my butt on that treadmill). But I always feel better when I do. Good luck on this week’s goals!

I know, why is it so hard to make yourself workout when you know that you always feel better afterward?! Weird. Good luck to you on your goals this week, too!

10. Google hangouts is such a smart idea for a writer’s group meeting! I will have to file that away for down the road when I actually find a writer’s group. πŸ˜› Hope you have another great week!

Yeah, Google hangouts has been awesome. It’s not always 100 percent clear but most of the time, I’m amazed at how clear it actually is! Have a great week, Karyne!

11. glad you had such a productive week! Working out helps me to clear my head and makes me feel better which motivates me to get some other things done. Good luck this week!