Ready. Set. WRITE!

Thank you to the hosts of this summer writing intensive: Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, and Erin Funk. You can head on RSWCoffeeover to any one of those blogs to find out more and to participate. Every Monday, you can go to any one of those blogs and post a link to your check-in post. Here is my update for the week:

1. How I did on last week’s goals:

• Spend at least half an hour twice a day on the WiP. Accomplished this five days this week but I didn’t do as much writing as I would’ve liked. I only added about 2k. But I ended up spending some time on character building and plotting. I ran into kind of a wall concerning the plot. The story is told alternatively from two different main characters’ points of view and I have the male MC’s motivation all figured out but I’m struggling with the female MC’s backstory/motivation/desires, etc. Y’know, just all that stuff that you actually need in order to create a story. *sigh*
  • Work out at least five days this week. Done! Okay, technically it was four days but I’m also counting that one day that the dog and I went on an extra long walk (even though I didn’t really break a sweat πŸ™‚ ).

2. My goal(s) for this week: I hate to sound like a broken record but…

• Spend at least half an hour twice a day on the WiP.
  • Work out at least five days this week.

3. A favorite line from my story, OR one word that sums up what I wrote/revised:Β This is more than one word, but it sums up what I worked on this week: one step forward, two steps back. (Or maybe one step forward, two steps sideways??)

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write): The aforementioned wall that I hit with character development. C’mon, Lucy, work with me!

5. Something I love about my WiP: I have one character who may essentially end up being the comic relief of the story. If it works out like I am planning it to work out. πŸ™‚

Good luck to everyone in their goals this week!

16 Responses to Ready. Set. WRITE!

1. Awesome on meeting your goals last week! The comic relief characters are always the ones I relate to, not sure what that says about me, haha… Anyway, I hope you do just as well this week πŸ™‚

I always have to have a comic relief character. And they always end up being my favorite. πŸ™‚ Also, I’ve been a broken record with my goal setting since the beginning of summer! Nothing wrong with that – especially if it works! What’s that old saying? If it ain’t broke…

Hope you have a great week!

Yes, I guess my goals are “stay the course” at this point! As long as I’m meeting any goals during the summer … win! πŸ™‚

3. Don’t ever feel like a broken record! If you figure out the goals that work for you, stick with them! Have a great week!

4. I always love the funny characters too. Nothing makes me happy in a book than to smile over a terrific one-liner or comeback! Good luck for this week!

I agree – especially if you have a tense, high-action plot or some such – you need that comic relief every once in a while to break the tension! Have a great week, Leandra!

5. katyupperman says:

Way to go with your goals, lady! I like “one step forward, two steps sideways” a lot better than “…two steps back.” Much more motivating! Best of luck this week, Kitty!

Thanks Katy! I could get really fancy and call it “one step forward, sashay to the left… sashay to the right…” Haha! Have a great week!

6. I love comic relief characters; for me they tend to take over though. Nice work blending your workout goals in! I’m also doing a fitness challenge this month and the next. A few days I worked out only because I had someone to check in with. Good luck this week!

Good luck with your fitness challenge! That’s awesome. I find it really does help to have someone to check in with. I have a friend who I don’t really “check in” with but we are usually always at the rec center at the same time so I feel accountable but she just moved away. 😦 Already, I can feel my motivation lagging. Yikes! Good luck to you with your fitness challenge!

7. Amy Brashear says:

I love funny characters. Good luck with your goals this week!

No worries about broken records when it comes to your goals. If it’s working, it’s working! You’ve done a great job sticking to your goals, and honestly, it’s pretty inspiring. I know what you mean about one step forward, two steps back (or sideways). Same boat over here. I guess some movement is better than being completely stalled out, right? (Look at me trying to be all ‘glass half full’ lol. I don’t often see my WiP that way, to be honest.) I hope you’re able to sort out your MC’s motivations and whatnot and can keep moving forward from there! πŸ˜€

9. Great job this week! Taking time to make notes on character development is often the best way to move forward. πŸ™‚

10. character development is important, glad you’re spending more time on it. It’ll pay off later. Congrats on doing so well with your goals!