What’s Up Wednesday: The Minimalism Edition

What’s Up Wednesday is the brain child of Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk. WUWTreeJoin the fun on your own blog and then go to Jaime’s or Erin’s to add your link – it’s a great way to share what’s going on in your life and get to know other bloggers!

I just started reading SOMEONE ELSE’S LOVE STORY by Joshilyn Jackson. I mostly read YA novels but among adult authors, Joshilyn Jackson is one of my favorites. Her books are always smart, funny and poignant.

What I’m Writing

I’m a little hung up on character and plot development on my WiP so I’m falling a little behind on word count but I’d rather take some time to figure this stuff out before moving ahead!

What inspires me right now

A while back, I wrote about how I’ve been inspired as of late by the Minimalism movement. The thought of simplifying my life (as much as possible with a husband, two kids and a dog) just makes me happy. In August, I’m going to try something and I’m inviting anyone who is interested to join in! It’s called the Minimalism Game and you can read more from it’s origin here (The Minimalists blog). Basically, on the first day of the month, you get rid of one thing, on day two you get rid of two things, on day three – three things… and on and on and on. I expect it might get more challenging on about day 20 but I’m willing to give it a try. Anybody else in?

Another thing I’ve been looking at doing is Project 333 which, in a nutshell, is about narrowing your wardrobe down to 33 items for three months (not including undergarments and workout clothes). I’ve sort of half-way done this one by getting rid of A LOT of stuff in my closet. Now I’m just being too lazy to count it all up (and narrow down jewelry, jackets, etc). I’m pretty sure I’m just about at 33 items, though. This one isn’t too hard for me since I am not a shopper and I’m not exactly what you’d call a fashionista! 🙂

What Else I’ve Been Up To

We went to the Twins game last weekend. We usually only go to about one game a year so it’s always a fun day. And – bonus – they won! I’m not generally a big baseball fan anyhow, but I understand the Twins aren’t doing so hot this year. So it was fun to see them win. 🙂

IMG_1676

Yesterday, I put one kiddo on a bus to go almost all the way to Canada (10 hours) to visit my sister at her cabin for nine days all by herself. The other kiddo has her very first interview for her very first job today. The speed at which my childrens’ childhoods are progressing make me a little nauseous at times! But, on the other hand, it’s fun to see them going out into the world and achieving things and growing.

Have a great week everyone!

This entry was posted in Reading, What's Up Wednesday, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to What’s Up Wednesday: The Minimalism Edition

1. Taking time to plan and think is a good idea – I’m glad I took a few days away from my WIP, because it’s made me more confident about moving forward!

Yeah, a little time out can be a good idea but it’s also a tempting time to really backslide. I need to watch myself! Have a great week!

2. Niki Lenz says:

I’ve never read any Joshilyn Jackson! I’ll have to give her a try!

I haven’t read all of hers but I really liked BETWEEN, GEORGIA and GODS IN ALABAMA. I hope you are able to pick up one of her books!

3. Love the idea of the minimalist game! I might do it.

I can’t wait to get started. I think it’ll be a great month of “purging” before all the junk from school starts coming home. 🙂

4. Minimalism. What a grand concept. You would never guess how much I love the idea by looking at my life. I’m going to look into that Project 333. What a cool idea.

I think that Project 333 is really on to something. It’s crazy how, when my closet is jam-packed full, I stand there and think, “I have nothing to wear!” But when there are fewer choices, it’s soooo much easier!

5. Hello, Kitty! I’m very familiar with minimalism. My mom has always been a minimalist and instilled in me good decluttering and non-consumerist habits. I always follow the “one in, one out” rule, though usually when I bring in something new I end up giving away more than one thing! One of my favorite minimalism books is The Joy of Less by Francine Jay. When you read it, you can’t help but start decluttering your home, schedule, and life! She has a great website too: http://www.missminimalist.com

Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

Cool – thanks for the link and the book referral! I need to start following the “one in, one out” rule, too. But – more importantly – I need to make my kids start following it!

Taking time out from writing to figure it out is never a bad thing. Good luck! And good luck with your minimalist experiment, too.

7. C.E. Darrell says:

WOW, that Minimalism Project actually sounds really appealing to me! All my stuff is still in storage but I have a feeling when I move into my new place, I’ll need to do an epic spring clean, haha 🙂 Best of luck with these exciting endeavours you’re undertaking, Kitty, and have a great week!

Moving is the best time for doing some major downsizing! I sometimes think that we should move every few years, just to force an epic spring clean. 🙂 Have a great week!

8. Pingback: What’s Up Wednesday | Kitty Murry