Ready. Set. WRITE!

Thank you to the hosts of this summer writing intensive: Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, and Erin Funk. You can head on RSWCoffeeover to any one of those blogs to find out more and to participate. Every Monday, you can go to any one of those blogs and post a link to your check-in post. Here is my update for the week:

1. How I did on last week’s goals:

• Spend at least half an hour twice a day on the WiP. I didn’t do quite as well this week and accomplished this four days this week. But I did manage to have a breakthrough on one of my MC’s motivation/backstory. It means I’ll have to rewrite much of what I have already written but … that’s the way it goes sometimes!
  • Work out at least five days this week. I have taken to not so much “working out” as taking nice, long walks. I did that four days this week.

2. My goal(s) for this week:

• Spend at least half an hour twice a day on the WiP. I need to do some more character development but I also hope to start revising back from the beginning of Lucy’s POV.
  • I just joined a “10k a Day” fitness challenge at work so my goal is to reach those 10 thousand steps each day this week. My Fitbit should be here any day!

3. A favorite line from my story, OR one word that sums up what I wrote/revised: Summing up – Dig Deeper!!

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write): I really struggled to break through that wall with my character, Lucy. I’m still not 100% sure she’s heading in the right direction, but I’m excited to start re-writing her with this new backstory/twist on her character.

5. Something I love about my WiP: That it is still evolving. 🙂

Good luck to everyone in their goals this week!

10 Responses to Ready. Set. WRITE!

Yay for breakthroughs! And dig deeper? Yeah – totally my motto on revision. Which I’m about to start. I don’t know though – I love to dig deep – challenging and insightful and makes me fall in love with my story more and more. 🙂

Good luck with all the things this week! I’m trying to get back into a habit of exercising too!

I agree, Alison, digging deeper just makes me fall in love with the story – and the characters – more. It’s like getting to know a friend even better than you already did. Good luck with your goals this week, too, especially the exercising. It’s so hard!!

2. I love those breakthroughs which help you understand your story better. Good luck this week!

Yeah, breakthroughs are the best. If only they would arrive on schedule! 🙂 I guess I should be happy when they arrive at all, right? Have a great week, Emma!

3. That is so hard to make such big changes mid-way through your novel. But totally worth it if you feel like it’s taking you in a better direction. Good luck with it!

The good news is that I’m not really mid-way through. Probably not even a quarter of the way through! Have a great week, Karyne. Good luck with all your goals!

4. How lame am I that I didn’t see you’ve got a new home until now? I guess I’ve been off the interwebs for a while. Yay for breakthroughs! Congratulations. 🙂

I think the fact that you actually have a life away from the interwebs is pretty much the opposite of lame! 🙂 And, yes, yay for breakthroughs. Let’s just hope it turns out to be the right direction!

5. I’ve seen some recent studies about walking and how it can make you more creative. Maybe that’s what is responsible for your recent breakthrough.

That is interesting, Kirsten! And if that’s the case, I should’ve started walking a long time ago. It is definitely a good motivator to go for more walks. 🙂