What’s Up Wednesday

What’s Up Wednesday is the brain child of Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk. Join the fun on Branchyour own blog and then go to Jaime’s or Erin’s to add your link – it’s a great way to share what’s going on in your life and get to know other bloggers!

It’s all about zombies these last couple weeks! I started out with ROT AND RUIN by Jonathan Maberry and he hooked me so I moved on to the second and third books in the series. I’m almost done with the third. My daughter is on the fourth book and she keeps giving me killer teasers. Things like “oh, this fourth book is going to break your heart.” Gah!

What I’m Writing

In my last update, I said that I had cut the prologue for THE WITCH OF HIGHLAND FALLS and that darn near killed me even though I know it was the right thing to do. Since then I’ve been in a bit of a holding pattern because no matter how many times I rewrite the first few pages of the first chapter, I just haven’t been liking the way it’s turning out. It’s not the right feel for the first few pages – the pages that are supposed to pull a reader in. So I kinda froze up. BUT! Just yesterday as I was blow drying my hair 🙂 an idea came to me that I think will work! And then life got in the way (ie: Music Boosters meeting) and I didn’t have any time to work on it last night. I can’t wait to get home tonight to work on it!

What works for me

Check out this cheapo walking workspace I rigged up! 🙂 I bought the treadmill from my sister for $30 and modified a bookshelf unit that I’ve had forever – it’s gone through several members of my family and I think it’s from about 1976. My cheapskate self is pretty darned proud of this little unit. As I’m sure most of you know, it’s tough to get in any “real” exercise when you have a day job at a desk and then your favorite extracurriculars are reading and writing. So far, I’ve mostly used this to do some cyber-xmas shopping but I expect many great story ideas to be generated while burning calories on this baby!

IMG_0686

What Else I’ve Been Up To

Sadly, I did not spend enough time writing during the Thanksgiving break but I did binge watch Agents of Shield on Netflix! So… there’s that. Time well spent, I say. Now I’m slightly obsessed. Anyone else?
Have a great week everyone!

This entry was posted in Reading, What's Up Wednesday, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What’s Up Wednesday

1. That desk is awesome! Such a good idea. Glad to hear you finally had some inspiration – openings are always tricky!

Thanks Emma. Openings are the worst! And then, when they work like they should… they’re the best. 🙂 Let’s hope I can make this new idea work! Have a great week!

Ugh…story beginnings. Bleh. So happy you were able to come up with a workable idea for your WiPs beginning. I have the worst time with beginnings and always start my story in the wrong place. Fingers crossed this is exactly what your story needs! I love what you did with the treadmill desk! I’ve thought about rigging something up for our treadmill, so this might be some great inspiration. Knowing me, I’d probably trip and break myself, but I think I’d be more likely to use the treadmill if I was multi-tasking. Have a great week, Kitty! And enjoy that awesome treadmill desk! 😀

Ha! I’m afraid that tripping and breaking myself is exactly what will happen to me, too. I promise to post pictures. 🙂 And I’m still crossing my fingers on this new opening, too. Have a great week!

3. Niki Lenz says:

I always get my best ideas while blow drying my hair! Must be all the hot air to the brain!

That’s too funny, Niiki! I should blow dry my hair more often or maybe sloooooowwwwer so all those good ideas have time to filter in through the hot air. 🙂 Have a great week!

Nice writing desk! 😀

Don’t you love it how you’ll come up with ideas during the most random of tasks? The ironing tends to be a big brainstorming session for me.

Have a great week!

Yah, you just never know when or where inspiration might strike. I’m just glad it wasn’t one of those things where you get a great idea in the middle of the night and then can’t remember any of it the next morning! Have a wonderful week!

5. That desk is incredible! I love it. I’ve got one that moves up so I can stand, but even that is tricky. I imagine it will take some time to grow accustomed to walking and writing. I love your ingenuity. Have a great week!

Hi Melanie – I am still getting used to it. 🙂 But I figure that even if I walk slowly while writing, it’s still good to be moving. Have a great week!

6. Love the treadmill workspace! I need to rig that up.

Thanks! I was pretty excited to be able to put it together with hardly any investment. If you buy a “real” treadmill desk they are waaaay spendy. Have a great week.