What’s Up Wednesday: Finding a new groove

What’s Up Wednesday is the brain child of Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk. Join the fun WUWSnowy Houseson your own blog and then go to Jaime’s or Erin’s to add your link – it’s a great way to share what’s going on in your life and get to know other bloggers!

I cruised through LEGEND by Marie Lu and loved it. I moved directly on to the next one in the series: PRODIGY.

I also read a couple easy, on-the-side kind of books: HELP, THANKS, WOW: The Three Essential Prayers) by Anne Lamott and THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF TIDYING UP: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo (the title is almost longer than the book!). Both were okay – I gave them each three stars. This was the first book that I’ve read by Anne Lamott read and I’ve always meant to read BIRD BY BIRD. I enjoyed her style and I’ll definitely read something by her again. I just felt that there was a lot of repetition and the whole book could’ve been shorter. As for the tidying up book… I will not post any pictures of my dresser drawers but let’s just say that this book had a positive effect! 🙂

What I’m Writing (plus one writing goal)

I’m moving along on revisions on THE WITCH OF HIGHLAND FALLS. My goal two weeks ago was to spend two hours on revisions at least four days over the next week. That goal changed (and the new goal met) because I found a new something that really works for me! Wait for it…

What Works for Me

I think I may have actually, finally found my “golden hour” for writing! As a parent, I’ve always felt like I had to find time to write when I wouldn’t be taking away time from the kids, ie: early in the morning or late at night. This has been a colossal struggle for me. I am so NOT a morning person! And by the time late evening rolls around, I’m fried. It occurred to me in the last week that I don’t really have any reason to not sit down to write immediately after dinner is done. My kiddos are teen and pre-teen aged. After supper, they are working on homework, surfing the internet or (in the case of my youngest) pursuing her own passion for art. In fact, the time when they really want to talk with me is usually right at bedtime.

I tried writing after supper in the last week and it turned out to be really fruitful! Of course, there were a few times where one of the girls would wander into the living room and start yacking my ear off. I just put the laptop down and went back to it later. And there will be times this doesn’t always work because of school activities. But by and large, I really think this is going to be a great plan.

So, the goal for the next couple weeks is to spend at least an hour each weekday evening working on revisions for TWOHF.

What Else is New

Sadly, really not much. The day job has been crazy busy lately! My husband and I are looking forward to a weekend away soon. We are just going to the Twin Cities – about an hour away – but it will be a change of scenery and a weekend without kids or the dog. It’s a much-needed break and time for us to just hang out together, go see a couple movies, do a little shopping. And most importantly, eat out without me having to cook the food or do the dishes! 🙂

What’s up with you, friends?

20 Responses to What’s Up Wednesday: Finding a new groove

1. Best of luck with your revision, Kitty, and yay for finding your magic writing hour! Hope you have a wonderful week!

Glad you’ve found the time of day that works for you. I can’t do the wake up early and write thing either. Too much of a night owl for that.

Have a great week!

3. Good luck with your revisions! I love the title of your WIP. Writing after supper sounds like a good idea.

My What’s up Wednesday post.

4. A weekend away sounds fantastic! We can’t force our writing hours (wish we could). As long as they come at do-able times (and it sounds like it is). I loved Legend but wasn’t as excited by the rest. Can’t wait to see what you thought.

I’m not flying through Prodigy as fast and I did Legend, that’s for sure. But, so far so good. I just hope it has a strong finish! Have a great week, Tonja!

5. Glad you’ve found the best writing time for you! I find it hard to write early in the mornings, too. Have a great week 🙂

Yay for finding that golden hour! My time is in the morning as soon as I get the kids off to school. I know that if I don’t work then, mentally I’m screwed. And BIRD BY BIRD is amazing! I hope you get to read it soon.

Exactly what you said – I know that if I don’t get some time in right after dinner, I’m screwed. I’ll tell myself that I’ll do it later but… nope! Have a great week, Alison!

7. Have fun on your weekend away. It’s always nice to have just a little time to relax, and not cook!
    Yay for finfding a time to write! I’ve had mine set for years now (wow, that makes me sound old) and I’ve never changed it because it works for me. I hope yours continues to work for you!
    Have a great week!

I’ve always been a late bloomer in pretty much every aspect of my life so it’s no surprise to me that it’s taken me forever to figure out what time works best! Lol. Have a wonderful week, Melanie!

That is awesome that you’ve found a “golden hour” for writing! I’m still on the hunt for that, but I do think that just about any time I can get my butt in a chair is probably a golden hour. (It doesn’t happen often enough.) Hope the words flow this week! 😀

Thanks Jaime. Yeah, even if it is a good time for me to write, that doesn’t mean that I don’t also end up distracted by the darn internet! Have a wonderful week!

9. Niki Lenz says:

I always joke with my husband that I am neither a morning person or a night person. But dammit, I am brilliant between 1-3pm!

Haha! I love it! I’m going to use that. 🙂 I used to be a night owl but I can’t even claim that anymore. Yep – it’s middle of the day or nothing! Have a great week, Niki!

10. Hooray for finding the Golden Hour! This is a breakthrough of epic proportions. Here’s to writing new words!

And how fun that you guys are taking a weekend away! You totally deserve it. And having someone else cook for you for a change…priceless.

Hope your week is splendid and that the sun shines just for you. 🙂