What’s Up Wednesday: Back on Track!

What’s Up Wednesday is the brain child of Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk. Join the fun WUWSnowy Houseson your own blog and then go to Jaime’s or Erin’s to add your link – it’s a great way to share what’s going on in your life and get to know other bloggers!

I’ve been in a bit of a reading slump (not that I haven’t read anything good but that I haven’t read much of anything). I recently finished UNCLAIMED by Laurie Wetzel, who I met in person at a signing and seemed like a top-notch kind of person. The book was great, too. 🙂
I am working my way through TRANS SISTER RADIO by Chris Bohjalian for Book Club. In a nutshell, it’s about transgender people and relationships, etc. I am struggling because I think the book would be more interesting if there was less anatomy and more psychology, or if the book revolved more around the human emotional investment in this kind of decision. I mean, that’s in there, too. But some of it feels too “clinical” to me. In any case, it’s an interesting read.
What I’m Writing (plus one writing goal)

Still moving along with revisions on THE WITCH OF HIGHLAND FALLS. As you’ll see below in “What Else is New” I’ve been all off-kilter in the last few weeks. Everyone’s been sick, blah, blah, blah. This winter is really starting to bring me down. But I’m getting back on track this week and have done several nights of revisions in a row. The goal this week is to keep working on revisions at least an hour each night.

What Works for Me

Good notes! I wasn’t really sure how to handle the pages and pages of revisions from my fabulous CPs when I first got their notes back. I ended up writing pages of notes with the page numbers so that I could combine all four of their comments together into one handwritten document. Then I can have the satisfaction of slashing happily through those notes when I have taken care of them! 🙂 I’m curious to know what works for other people when they have notes back from multiple CPs? Anyone?

What Else is New

I haven’t posted in a few weeks, which is a good thing for anyone who happens to read this blog because it would’ve been all: “My husband’s sick… I’m sick… the kids are sick… the dog ate my daughter’s valentine’s candy… I hate the cold… wah, wah, wah.”

And if you follow me on Twitter, you’ll have seen whiny tweets like these:

tweet2

So. That’s what’s been going on but this week I’m BACK ON TRACK. For real. And you know what else? Temps in my area next week are supposed to get into the 50s! Woo-hoo!

What’s up with you?

15 Responses to What’s Up Wednesday: Back on Track!

Glad to hear things are improving.

I tend to have my beta readers’ notes up on different screens so I can go through them chapter by chapter.

I tried having all their notes up on different screens but, apparently, that was overload for my brain! Lol. I kept skipping between screens and then I would start making changes on the wrong document. Oof! But I’m glad it works for you! Clearly, your brain is more agile than mine. 🙂 Have a great week!

2. Niki Lenz says:

Uhg. We have the same thing going on over here! Spring needs to hurry up!

I tell ya, if we get to next week and it’s not in the 50s like the weathermen are all promising, there is going to be a whole state full of really depressed people! Have a great week, Niki!

3. There’s an option to compile notes in Word! I found this helpful blog post, which explains how to do it. It really does save on time! 🙂 http://jamigold.com/2012/04/ms-word-trick-combining-changes-and-comments/

Oh my gosh, this is awesome, Emma! I think this is just what I need. While I apparently am not smart enough to be able to jump between several documents, I think I could handle two. Thanks!

Hooray for getting back on track! Hope the revisions continue to go well. I’m with you on the whole being over winter thing. It’s that time of year where people are posting pics of blossoms and green and we’re still buried in white. Ugh. Winter sucks but great notes from CPs sure don’t! Just noticed Emma’s note about compiling in Word. That will be helpful down the road! Hope you have a great week, Kitty. With much less sickness and less winter blahs. 🙂

Thanks Jaime. I’m sure you can relate about the weather. *sigh* Sometimes winter really can be beautiful but the cold is really getting to me this year. I just want to be able to go out without a jacket! Here’s hoping that spring will be here soon, for both of us. Have a great week!

5. I’m so over winter. It seems to be lasting forever, though. When I get notes from my CPs, they generally are in Word documents. I write in Scrivener, though, so I copy/paste the notes from Word to my WIP in Scrivener. I do that for each set of comments I get so I’m left with a single document that has everyone’s notes all together. It makes it so much easier to compare their thoughts when it’s right on the page, all together.

I got a free trial of Scrivener a while back but then I realized that I got it at the wrong time. I think I need to give that a try when I’m at the start of a new project! I have heard great things about Scrivener, though. Yes, winter does seem to be never-ending this year. Bah! Have a great week!

6. Glad to hear you’re feeling better. Being sick sucks!
    When I have multiple CP notes within an MS, I pull them all up as different docs and go a chapter at a time. The broader ones I just read over a lot to keep them fresh in my mind and tackle them in rewrites.

Thanks Melanie. I am hoping we are all done being sick for the rest of this winter! Spring is so close I can hardly stand it. Have a great week!

7. I’m so sorry you’ve been sick and that everyone in your family has been sick. That is the pits. (The Pits should probably be capitalized there) It makes me want to kidnap you and subject you to sunshine and some time off. (Though I should probably stop saying I want to kidnap everyone…makes me sound like a crazy stalker person.) 😉

But go you on getting back on track! And on the multiple comments thing – Me and my CP’s have tried a couple of different things. If you do comments in Google Drive, you can combine them and everyone’s comments are in a different color. (Very helpful for me) You can do this in Word’s “Track Changes” too. Plus I like that you can hide the comments, or just view one at a time. I end up typing in my own notes that way too, so I know what I want to do with all the comments. (most of the time) 🙂

Hope this week is better than last. And you should totally be able to charge ice cream to your health savings account…what the hell… totally medicinal. 😉

You can kidnap me away to Florida any time! Google Drive seems to be the wave of the future. My daughter can’t do anything without Google Docs. It seems to be a great way to share documents. I guess I’ll have to get on board one of these days!

This week is already better and there is definitely ice cream involved. Have a great weekend, Kris!

8. Kris Atkins says:

UGH. Glad you’re feeling better! (Well, you were 2 weeks ago–and I HOPE YOU STILL ARE NOW!) I love your idea for combing all of your readers’ notes into one document! I usually open them all up and then bounce from doc to doc. It’s kind of slow and probably a really dumb way to do it. I’d rather do more work up front and streamline the actual revisions. So I think I’ll copy you next time ’round!