Ready. Set. WRITE! Second week update

Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting and RSW2015accountability, and provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at with our writing projects—planning, drafting, revising, or polishing.  This year, your RSW hosts are Alison MillerJaime MorrowErin FunkElodie Nowodazkij, and Katy Upperman. All the details are HERE.

1.  How I did on last week’s goals:

• Spend at least one hour, five days on reviewing and revisions in my WIP. Yes! I did really well on this. I finished a full read-through of my MS and sent it off to a beta reader yesterday (a whole week earlier than anticipated! 🙂 )
  • Visit the blogs of at least 10 other RSWers. Yes! And then some! It was great to get out there and say howdy and cheer each other on.
  • Spend one hour a day or less on TV. Oh dear. Um, I did manage to do this on some days, but not all. I have a habit of just turning on the TV for “background noise” and then I sort of space out and don’t get anything else done! Ugh!
  • Spend one hour a day or less on internet. Yeaahhhh…. no. I did better than I usually do (thanks again, Freedom app!) but I did not keep it to one hour a day.

2.  My goals for this week.

• Make initial contact with at least five potential editors.
  • Start investigating cover design options. (Any of you indie authors have suggestions for me?)
  • Figure out which project I’m going to work on while I wait for WoHF to come back from my beta reader. I had thought I was going to go back to FALLING (tentative title) but I am feeling a pull from another MS that I started a realllllly long time ago. I still love the characters and the story line. It may be time to go back to that one.
  • Visit the blogs of at least 10 other RSWers.
  • Spend one hour a day or less on TV.
  • Spend one hour a day or less on internet.

3.  A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: Here is the very first paragraph of my WiP:

The woman in the corner whined in an unearthly, inhuman tone. I shivered in the New Orleans heat. I wished she would stop. But then again, I had wished for her to stop shrieking a few minutes ago. Now that she had, I knew the end was near.

4.  The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write): Well, there’s that TV addiction I mentioned above! To be honest, I’m more worried about this coming week. I had two and a half weeks off from work and I go back today. It was really nice to have such unimpeded writing/revising time in the last couple weeks. Now it’s back to reality!

5.  Something I love about my WiP: I love the way my main character grows over the course of the story. Of course, I guess that’s the whole point of a good story, right? But she goes from this timid, confused little girl to a strong, independent young woman. Love that.

How did your week of writing and/or revising go?

This entry was posted in Ready. Set. WRITE, Writing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Ready. Set. WRITE! Second week update

I can SO relate to feeling the pull of an older WiP. I caved to the pull this past week, and I’m happy I did. Maybe you’ll feel the same way??? 🙂 From the sounds of it, you did pretty darn great meeting your goals. The TV and internet thing is always hard, but you made great progress anyway. You’re doing better than I am, anyway. Have a great week, Kitty, and good luck with your goals!

I need to make that internet goal one of my own. It’s SO EASY to get distracted. 🙂 And yay for all the wonderful progress and beating deadlines! I hope this week is just as productive!

3. My husband does the same as you- he puts the TV on all the time, just for background noise. It drives me crazy! I could definitely do a little less internet time though (or Soda Saga time).
    Good luck on your goals this week!

4. Erin Zarro says:

I did okay, not as well as I wanted, but good enough.

The first day back to work after a vacation is always a killer. Always. Hugs.

Good luck with your goals this week.

5. Erin Funk says:

Yay for being ahead of schedule! It’s always nice to reach a goal faster than you thought you would. The intro to your story is intriguing. Definitely a great hook! Have you thought of making TV your reward for writing? After all the progress you made this week, you deserve some relaxation time with a few good shows! Good luck with this next batch of goals!

6. We are loving the same things in our WIP! Good luck on your first week back, hope it’s not too hectic for ya.

7. Sounds like you’re doing great! 🙂 I’d find it impossible to spend less than an hour a day on the internet. 😛

8. Eden says:

Hooray for a week early, Kitty! Isn’t it the best thing to be able to say that you’re ahead of schedule on something?

And… *shivers* that is one intense snippet.

9. shanjeniah says:

Shivering in the New Orleans heat -that really gives me a sense of the eeriness of the moment…yikes!

I always go with the story that’s pulling me – there’s always a reason for it, even if I don’t understand it, so I’ve come to a place of trusting my instincts.

I don’t limit my TV or internet intentionally, but I’ve noticed that when I’m intensely involved with my characters, I don’t interact with social media in the same way. I’m OK with TV as background noise, and sometimes inspiration, maybe in part because I shared a bedroom growing up, and also because I’m a homeschooling mom, so kid activity is a constant…

Seems like you’ve made good progress. =)