Ready. Set. WRITE! Fourth update

Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting and RSW2015accountability, and provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at with our writing projects—planning, drafting, revising, or polishing.  This year, your RSW hosts are Alison MillerJaime MorrowErin FunkElodie Nowodazkij, and Katy Upperman. All the details are HERE.

1.  How I did on last week’s goals:

• Continue to investigate cover design options for THE WITCH OF HIGHLAND FALLS. Check! Investigation continues this week.
  • Finish my re-read of MOSAIC and start to figure out what overall changes I’ll need to make. Check! I finished the re-read but am realizing that I’ll need to re-read the partially finished books 2 and 3 in the series to really figure out all the changes.
  • Revisit SAVE THE CAT by Blake Snyder and put together a beat sheet for MOSAIC. Check! By the skin of my teeth. 🙂 I just finished the beat sheet last night!
  • Visit the blogs of at least 10 other RSWers. I didn’t make this. Last Monday was booked from start to finish. It’s hard to be motivated to visit the RSW blogs on Tuesday when you know you are a whole day behind everyone else. 😦
  • Walk at least 10k each day. Very close! There were only two days I didn’t quite make it to 10k.

2.  My goals for this week.

• Continue to investigate cover design options for THE WITCH OF HIGHLAND FALLS.
  • Finish my re-read of the partially finished manuscripts for books 2 and 3 of MOSAIC and start putting together an overall plan for complete outline and changes.
  • Visit the blogs of at least 10 other RSWers.
  • Walk at least 10k each day.

3.  A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: Since I didn’t really do much actual writing this week – mostly re-reading and outlining – I’ll just sum it up by saying: “happy.” I’m happy to find that I still love this MS, it’s characters and overall plot. Lots of work ahead, though!

4.  The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write): Distractions and being able to fall into a good routine. Oh, and on Saturday my computer was giving me attitude and I lost hours that could’ve been productive! Grrrrr.

5.  Something I love about my WiP: I like the action that happens in this story. My MC is a woman of action and she jumps in to help out at a moment’s notice.

How did your week of writing and/or revising go?

This entry was posted in Ready. Set. WRITE, Writing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Ready. Set. WRITE! Fourth update

1. Stephanie Scott says:

I’m also trying to visit the other blogs. The format and short-ish posts help. I like blog hops for support, but they can also take a lot of time. For me, I don’t take it personally if people can’t comment on my post. The goals are mainly for me anyway.

Cover ideas sound like fun! Are you using a designer, or making yourself?

I agree – the support behind a blog hop is awesome. But, if I’m not careful, I get carried away on visiting everyone! The cover idea research is coming along and part of the fun is trying to decide if I should do it myself or not. It’s not completely out of the question. In my day job I do some design. Not a lot, though. Decisions, decisions… !! 🙂

2. If you still love the story, then that’s half the battle won! Hopefully it’ll make revisions relatively painless. 🙂

3. I seem to be meeting my goals but exercising has totally fallen off my list of priorities. I used to be so good about it too. Ergh. Oh well.
    Hope you find a great place for your cover design! Have a great week!

I know, Melanie, it is so easy for exercise to fall by the wayside. Waaaayyy too easy for me! That’s why I thought I’d better put it back on the list and try to make myself accountable. 🙂

4. Happy seems like a great place to be in! I have a copy of STC but haven’t read it yet. Thanks for the reminder that I should get to that ASAP!

Save the Cat is geared toward screenplays but I have found it to be really helpful in working out a great outline for a novel. It helps to make sure you are putting the action where it needs to be … the “b” story where it needs to be, etc. Have a great week!

It’s such a good place to be when you can reread and reread a story and still be in love. I’m so happy for YOU for that. Good luck with the goals this week!

Thanks Alison! I am pretty excited that the story line and characters are still of interest to me. But the writing is atrocious! 🙂 Good luck to you, too!

6. Erin Funk says:

Wow! You had a really productive week! Good for you for pushing till the last minute to get your goals done. And it’s so nice to hear that you’re happy with your story even though you know you still have plenty of work ahead. I think those are the ideas that stick, because you can’t give up on them even when there’s a long way to go. Good luck with this week’s goals!

You did a great job meeting your goals this week! Hope the cover design research is going well. I think it would be so hard to choose when they are some great options out there. It’s the best when you still love a story after working on it for some time. It makes all the work feel worth it, doesn’t it? Have a great week, Kitty!